30 Main Street, Freeport, ME, 04032 Phone: (207) 865-4743
FREEPORT, (140 alt.; Freeport Town, 2,184 pop.), a pleasant, tree-shaded old village, is often referred to as the Birthplace of Maine, because the final papers for the separation of Maine from Massachusetts, which established it in 1820 as an independent State, were signed here by commissioners from Massachusetts and the Province of Maine, probably in JAMESON'S TAVERN (1779), just N. of the post office (R).
When Freeport was incorporated in 1789 it was named for Sir Andrew Freeport, the character in Addison's Spectator Papers who rep- resented the London merchant class. There was a time when Free-
port had a prosperous shipbuilding business, but it is now engaged in shoemaking, crabbing, and crab-meat packing. But more importantly now it is New England's largest outlet mall!
Moody's is a family owned and operated business since 1927 on the coast of Maine. The diner offers great home cooked food at reasonable prices. Our pies, creme puffs, donuts and biscuits are baked fresh daily. The gift shop carries a wide variety of Moody's apparel, Maine gifts, Jewelry, and much more. The motel is located just behind the diner tucked in the woods far away from the sounds of route one traffic. A trip to Maine is not complete without a stop at Moodys, where its just like coming home.
The Acadian Village was built by the Heritage Vivant, our Living Heritage Society of Van Buren. The land on which it was built was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Charles Ayotte of Van Buren-Keegan, a local farmer.
The society relied on money raising projects, donations from private citizens, both in money and in labor, several small federal grants and the generosity of local governments and organizations for funds necessary to complete the project. People from Van Buren, Hamlin, Cyr Plantation and Grand Isle have been and are involved in maintaining the Village. Four years of labor was furnished by CETA and ACAP workers. The first building was moved onto the site in February of 1975 and the Village opened July 1, 1976. In time to be listed as one of the Top 55 Independence Day National Event for the bicentennial year. It was also name the State of Maine's "Best Bicentennial Project" and given a citation by the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. The Acadian Village is registered in the National Register of Historic Places in Washington D.C. and has been recognized as a Historic National Landmark. It is one of the largest historical sites in Maine.