The road that later became Historic Route 1 started as a trail during the 1600s. Burned trees marked the way, crude bridges crossed ravines, and canoe ferries transported goods and people across wider rivers. Later, the first horse carrier service would be established in New Jersey.
Route 1 in the News
Route 1 buzz is catching on. Check out what the media has been saying.
- On U.S. 1, Localities Must Come Together,
Richmond Times-Dispatch, October 8, 2010Read More
- A Historic Road Seeks Tourism Business,
Progress-index.com, June 10, 2010Read More
- Group promotes historic Route 1 with improvements, new website,
Progress-index.com, May 12, 2010Read More
- Historic Route 1 project launched in Chesterfield,
Richmond Times-Dispatch, May 12, 2010Read More
- Historic Route 1 to undergo streetscape makeover,
NBC12.com, May 11, 2010Read More